My Website

My Website
Please click here to view my website

Front Cover Edition 1

Contents Page Edition1

Front Cover Edition 2

Contents Page Edition 2

Wednesday 28 March 2018

4. The Content and Appeal of Print Adverts

For my research into the content and appeal of print adverts, I first explored the uses and gratification theory.

The Uses and Gratifications theory was produced by Jay Bulmer anElihu Katz. It indicates that users of the media play a significant role in selecting and utilising the media. The pair
(Bulmer and Katz) thought that the media user would choose the source of media that would best suits their needs.

The assumption is that the audience would choose want they want to view based on four various reasons: entertainment and escapism, information and education, integration and social interaction and lastly, personal identity.

Entertainment and Escapism: 
Watchers see particular shows for enjoyment purposes and viewers are able to imagine and leave their real lives behind being immersed in their media activity
Information and Education: 
Audience seek valuable knowledge and educate themselves using programs such documentaries or the news
Integration and Social Interaction: 
Media products can cause people to converse about them i.e. The X Factor, Britain's Got Talent 
Personal identity: 
Watchers are able to relate to a product or person in a specific aspect that mirrors their characteristics or values

For my focus on examples on adverts, I have looked at film posters since my print adverts are targeted at an audience of film enthusiasts of Total Film magazine. I have picked posters of films that target the 16-25 audience and I aimed to looked at  a film that is for amusement in addition to one which is partially informative.


The Proposal

-This film has been produced solely for entertainment 
 purposes, it strikes up laughter with its comedy
-Can be seen as recognisable in terms of situations
 within its more or less everyday setting
-Opposes the traditional stereotype of men proposing 
 to women
-Audiences can relate to the antics in this film, the film 
 can be used as a topic of conversation helping 
 people interact with one another
-There is only a slight bit of escapism due to the fact it 
 is set in normal surroundings and time period
-It has no intentions to educate its watchers


Gravity

-This type of film is source of escapism for the viewer, sets the  watcher's imagination in space 
-Made for entertainment purposes which can thrill its audience
-Can educate the viewer on space given them a better   understanding on the affect of gravity in space, for those who  enjoy gaining knowledge in science or in general fascinated by space
-Theme of being lost and stranded lies in film, the audience  can identify with this if they can recur a time of feeling like this   or something along these lines
-Close up shot of one of the main actor's face (Sandara  Bullock) communicates the concept of terror within the film 







What I have learnt about the content and appeal of television, radio or print adverts and how I intend to demonstrate this knowledge and understanding in my production in order to communicate successfully with the target audience

As my target audience readers of Total Film magazine, I will make sure to include bold colours that match the rest of my posters and furthermore intriguing backgrounds. My aim is for my adverts to be informative as well as having some elements of escapism and relatability. If I could add a slice of comedy, I would be happy as it would catch the target audience's eyes and entertain them.



No comments:

Post a Comment